Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Spartan Pledge and what it means to me.

"I will never take my own life by my own hand until I talk to my battle buddy first. My mission is to find a mission to help my warfighter family."


Suicide is the result of not having a "mission" in life or a purpose.  Working as a Mental Health Clinician, I am always working with individuals who suffer from depression caused by certain conditions or stressors of everyday life.  So, here is my question to you:

Have you ever felt that life was too overwhelming that it didn't feel like you were even alive?  If so, how did you overcome this chronic feeling?

Chances are, you had some sort of support to put your life back in perspective, and help guide you through the challenging times.  Getting out of the military and entering the civilian world was probably one of the most difficult periods of my life.  I was going through a divorce, trying to find a job, living with my father and step mom, trying to raise a daughter... And the list goes on.  I can remember countless times lying in bed, crying, thinking what the hell am I going to do and who really gives a shit about me now.  I was hopeless, lost, and confused about how or if my life was going to seem worth living.  I had went from a team oriented life in the military, with a wife and daughter, and now, sitting all alone with strangers of my past life.  The only reason I kept on pushing through was because somebody had told me, "Cory, what happens when your daughter gets married one day, who is going to walk her down the aisle?"

Getting back to the Spartan Pledge...

One thing that I have noticed, is that Warfighters do not like seeking help. So, moving forward it is our duty to seek out those Warfighters and ask them how they are doing.  Tell them about the Spartan Pledge... Let them know you are the battle buddy that will be next to them as they fight on to the objective and complete the mission.  Some of us need a hand, rather than asking for one.

1 comment:

  1. You can order a matched pair of these coins here: http://www.americasdefenderscoins.com/product-detail.cfm?product=16. Keep one and send one to your Battle Buddy. Only $25 plus shipping.

    ReplyDelete