Friday, May 10, 2013

Fitting In

So after a year and a couple months, I finally feel like I'm fitting in.  Being a mental health clinician, I get the chance to make a difference in people's lives.  This makes me feel like I'm back in the military again, from a first line supervisor position.  I get the chance to guide some minds that are traveling off course.  According to BusinessWire, two-thirds of Americans are unhappy with their jobs.  In my opinion, if you are unhappy with your job you are a member of the living dead (and not the zombie kind).  Waking up with no sense of purpose, is the same as living no sense of purpose.  If you aren't happy with your job or life, it's time to make a change.  I'm not saying that you need to quit your job, but you need to change your mission.

For a while, I found myself working the night shift in a warehouse, something that felt like a giant leap backward.  After a couple moths of working there, I gave up on trying to find a new job.  I kept thinking to myself, here I am with a BS in Public Relations, a military background in special operations, and I am working a job that takes no initiative or thought. I was even put on suspension from this job because they said they needed a proof of a high school diploma... they said my official college transcripts were not enough.  I was flabbergasted by that response.  But, the point behind this is that I ended up saying "enough is enough, I gotta make a change."  So, I ended up looking at opportunities I was not so qualified for, and utilized the few local contacts that I had.

A week after plugging away, I had a couple opportunities on standby.  So, I decided to quit my job; not the safest strategy.  After a few interviews with each of the organizations, I found myself with two job offers.  To think, I had given up on finding a new job, then all of a sudden the tables had turned.  Sometimes the waiting is hardest part, right?  After careful consideration I chose the mental health clinician position.

Now, I am happy.  I am currently waiting to hear back from Marian University on the status of my application for their nursing program.  I am finishing up my prerequisites for it and if everything goes according to plan, I will start in August for my BSN.

Happiness didn't pop up because things finally started going my way.  Happiness came around because I made it happen, and I stopped looking at my life as being dull and unfulfilled.  I finally became comfortable with the idea of 'this is who I am.'  On the day I die, the only person who is going to say if I lived a good life, is me.  No one's opinion will matter.  So, live it up!    

No comments:

Post a Comment